Monday, March 16, 2009

Cenotes and diving


Some cenotes have turned into wonderful places to dive. Since a lot of cenotes are interconnected divers can go from one to another underwater exploring caverns and underwater formations that are hidden in the dark.

You need a guide, a good light, lots of skill and enough nerve to allow you to go into a cave, in the water, in the dark except for your light.


To get to the cenote you put on all your gear, suit, weight belt, tanks, etc, and carefully manuever down a rock staircase with 50 lbs. on your back without falling over and hurting yourself or breaking something.


After you get to the water it's time to put on fins and mask, turn on your light and slip into the water. From there you go under the cave roof and aim for the next hole in the cavern roof that lets in the light.

Unless you total lose it and can't handle it. Yours' truly. Fortunately I figured it out in a very few minutes that going under rocks in the water is not my idea of fun.


The hole in roof of the cave that I came out of. Once I in the daylight, I was fine. The water was crystal clear and beautiful. Nice place to swim and snorkel.

This is a beautiful spot to sit and enjoy the water, from above. There are lots of cenotes over the peninsula that are dive sites. But I think I'll stick with snorkeling from now on when it comes to caves.

No comments: